SA budget increases next year

Next year, there will be no Student Assembly President.

As mandated by a resolution that passed the Assembly last week, the Student Assembly President will be known as Student Body President, starting with next year's president-elect.

"It's an idea that's been around for awhile," Jorge Miranda '01 said. He called the change of his successor's title and that of the successor to Student Assembly Vice President Chance Hill, "a clarification."

"There are a lot of people on campus who, when they hear 'Student Assembly President,' assume I'm elected by the Student Assembly," he explained. This change was meant to clarify that Miranda and his successors are elected directly by the student body.

He explained that the title also more closely resembles those for Class Council leaders -- "Class Presidents" -- and similar positions at other schools "I perform other functions that have nothing to do with Student Assembly, like speaking at graduation," Miranda continued.

The bill, which passed unanimously, was sponsored by Miranda and Hill, whose position will be known as Student Body Vice President.

Miranda says this is the first change of its kind. But he doesn't show any regrets about ending a tradition, saying, "I'm happy being the last Student Assembly President."