Community Degradation

To the Dartmouth Community:

I was deeply offended to learn that Zeta Psi fraternity had published a series of newsletters that specifically insulted individual members of this community. I am outraged that such behavior could have occurred on our campus. No individual or group should ever be subjected to the abuse, insult and harassment contained in these newsletters, and I am very sorry that they were.

Dean of the College James Larimore and Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman first heard about the newsletters during the week of April 9th and they immediately began an investigation. I am confident that our established procedures will address this matter fairly, deliberately and expeditiously. We need to let this process determine individual and organizational responsibility and to set whatever sanction is appropriate.

Dartmouth depends upon a sense of common respect and mutual trust. No one here should feel insecure or threatened. These newsletters strike at the core values of this community. They do not represent us nor do they define our relationship with each other. We must all make clear that Dartmouth will not tolerate the degradation of any portion of the community. For in the end, such degradation only debases us all.