Professor discusses Islamic mysticism

In a presentation entitled "Islamic Spirituality: The Inner Jihad," Jamal J. Elias, professor of Islamic studies at Amherst College, discussed the nature of "Sufism" -- Islamic mysticism -- and its relationship to the Muslim concept of Jihad in Rocky 2 last evening.

Elias, who has authored several books on Islamic spirituality, opened with a description of Sufism, which he referred to as a "dimension, rather than a sect, of Islam."

According to Elias, the basic tenets of Sufism are best represented by the view that "you should live each day as though you would live forever, and live each day as though you will die tomorrow."

He explained that Sufism sees the world as existing on two planes, the real and the otherworldly, and that Sufis attain this "deeper level of perception" through experience under the guidance of a master, rather than through analytically acquired knowledge.

Still, Elias said, Sufism should not be understood as in any way contradictory with the beliefs and rituals of traditional Islam.

"Sufis, just as Muslims, are ritually obligated to pray and to obey Islamic law," he said. "Though Sufism is not a body of knowledge, but more an attitude, it is not incompatible with the main body of Islam."

Consistent with the Sufis' dualistic view of existence, in which the Sufi exists "simultaneously in this world and not in this world," according to Elais, is the Sufi concept of Jihad.

Elias sought to explain how the word "Jihad," which is traditionally understood to mean a holy war, actually has deeper implications and a wide range of meanings.

"The Jihad can also be understood as a Jihad of self-improvement, or a stirring against the forces within you," Elias said.

Elias called this inner Jihad, "a primary religious duty against temptation, laziness, and other vices." He emphasized that any action, if it is to be considered a Jihad, must be just and righteous, and must be taken against an enemy that is unjust or evil.

Also, Elias added, a Jihad should embody the Sufi virtues of manliness and chivalry, both of which are central to Sufi ideology.

Though the prominence Sufism gives otherworldly and internal matters has led many to believe Sufis are generally withdrawn from society, Elias said, he asserted that this view is merely a popular misconception.

After the presentation, Elias fielded questions on the role of women in Sufism, the number of Sufis worldwide, and Sufism's relation to traditional Islam.