Penn, Princeton up next

Coming off a pair of defeats on the road last weekend at Yale (50-78) and Brown (67-86), the Dartmouth men's hoops team looks to regroup and salvage its Ivy League record with two games this upcoming weekend against the conference's two best, Princeton and U. Penn.

Dartmouth faces off with Penn tonight in what should be a very difficult game on the road. In their first matchup two weeks ago, the Big Green were paced by senior Greg Buth's hot shooting (20 points) and excellent play (20 points) by Vedad Osmanovic '02, but received lackluster contributions from the rest of the squad.

Dartmouth led 41-40 in the second half, but Penn put together an 11-0 run and they cruised the rest of the way to victory.

The night before that, Dartmouth had played its best game of the season, upsetting the highly favored Princeton Tigers by one point when Ian McGinnis '01 scored on a layin with just 27 seconds remaining. Princeton had a chance to win, but Andrew Logan's shot missed with under five seconds remaining in the game.

Dartmouth looks to repeat this success against the Tigers as long as Osmanovic continues his resurgence as he did in the first game, tallying 16 points to lead all scorers.

Through games of last week, Buth is leading the team in scoring with a 16.7 ppg average, followed by McGinnis at 10.4. Leaders in other categories include McGinnis in rebounds (10.1 per game) and field goal percentage (.453 percent), Flinder Boyd '02 in assists (5.1 per game) and steals (1.8 per game), and Buth in three-point percentage (.389) and free throw percentage (.807).

In addition, Buth was named to the Verizon Academic All-District 1 Team on Feb. 22, just another honor to add to his growing list of achievements on and off the basketball court.