Greeks Must Improve

To the Editor:

I am dismayed at the latest allegations of sexism and racism involving the Greek system at Dartmouth. As someone who was involved with the Community of Color on campus and as the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council representative of the only Latino Greek Letter Organization on campus during my undergraduate career at the College, I unfortunately cannot say that I am surprised by these allegations. When the Indian mascot is present on fraternity jackets and Indian symbols are in several Greek houses on campus, and as Greek leaders on campus have continued to defend the denigration of native peoples through the use of that horrible image and thus have created a culture in which people of color and women are not deemed worthy of dignity and respect, then Dartmouth cannot move forward as a community on issues of gender, culture and race. It is disheartening that the struggle continues for students of color at Dartmouth and I only hope that the leaders on campus will have the courage and the support to make wise decisions and finally move the College on the hill into the 21st century.