Crime is Everywhere

To the Editor:

I recently read a Letter to the Editor article written by the parent of a junior here at Dartmouth, in which the writer expressed extreme horror and contempt for the 'laundry list of crimes' that had been committed at Dartmouth throughout its existence. From her response, it appeared as though the author could not -- or at least did not -- want to admit that a crime of such magnitude and capacity could take place here at Dartmouth; in a "sleepy town like Hanover," to use her own words.

Although the Zantop murders are both tragic and absolutely horrendous in their own right, it is important for people to understand that crimes exist EVERYWHERE -- even in a town like Hanover. In the Upper Valley alone one can find a plethora of domestic violence organizations and support groups, which is an immediate sign that violence does occur in this community.

I am not trying to downplay the murders of the Zantops in any way, but I believe it is important for people both who live in and outside of this community to understand that anything is possible. From all of this, I hope residents of both Dartmouth and the neighboring communities will start taking life seriously instead of living in a make-shift bubble in which we believe nothing can happen. It is important to know that crimes have been committed here in Hanover in the past, so that we can prepare ourselves and take every precaution necessary to ensure another tragedy does not occur again.

It is time to come to terms with reality.