Winter CFS rush proves successful

As winter rush draws to a close, leaders of Greek houses are seeing winter pledge classes that are historically large for sororities, but relatively unchanged for fraternities with all women rushees and the vast majority of men who rushed receiving bids at Greek houses.

Tasha Francis '02, president of the Panhellenic Council, said that 37 women signed up to rush this winter.

According to Francis, two dropped out during the rush process; all of the remaining 35 women were given bids.

Epsilon Kappa Theta Sorority has given five bids, Kappa Delta Epsilon Sorority gave five, Delta Delta Delta Sorority accepted seven, Alpha Xi Delta Sorority six, Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority accepted six and Sigma Delta Sorority accepted six, Francis said.

Leo Pollock, the current president of Interfraternity Council, said that many fraternities have not yet submitted numbers regarding the size of their pledge classes to the IFC rush chair, adding that some fraternities are still holding rush.

Pollock said that he expects that more than 95% of those rushing fraternities this winter will receive bids, as has been the case in previous years.

Officers from Gamma Delta Chi fraternity and Psi Upsilon fraternity indicated that their pledge classes are similar in size to those taken during recent past winter terms.

According to fraternity president Michael Weir, Gamma Delt has one new pledge, the maximum number it may accept during winter term. Psi U gave out three bids.

Other houses also saw numbers comparable to past winters with Chi Heorot fraternity having given one bid, Alpha Delta fraternity giving three bids, Zeta Psi fraternity giving three and at least five at Sigma Nu fraternity.

Nick Morinigo, president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, said that the number of men rushing his house was up slightly from last winter. The house reported having four people sink their bids as of last night.

Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity had a larger number of men rush that last year, however they gave four bids, a similar number to previous years.

Bones Gate Fraternity and Kappa Kappa Kappa Fraternity did not hold winter rush this year.

Tabard coeducational fraternity, saw a pledge class of eight, according to society president Erica Schwartz, down from last year's unusually high class of 11. It is, however, slightly larger than the previous year's class of five.

Other houses could not be reached for comment before press time.