W. basketball squeaks by

For the second year in a row, Dartmouth women's basketball narrowly pulled out a victory against the University of Hartford. With three seconds remaining on the game clock, Katherine Hanks '03 coolly sunk a free throw to seal a 67-63 lead for the Big Green and complete a dramatic and controversial second half.

With 14:30 remaining in the game, Dartmouth extended its lead to 12 points, 42-30, and was prepared to cruise towards a victory. Hartford had other intentions, however.

Carefully and meticulously, the Hawks whittled away at the Big Green's lead and with just over five minutes remaining, took a 53-52 lead. After a steal and a transition basket by Hartford, Dartmouth called a timeout, down 60-56 with 2:32 remaining.

The next minute of play was characterized by an unusual triple three-point play. After pulling down an offensive board, Hanks was fouled as she sunk the put-back. She hit the free throw, but on the other end of the court, she fouled Hartford player Kenitra Johns as she was dropping the lay-up after an offensive rebound.

Johns made the free throw, but was upstaged when Stephanie Kinnear '01 grabbed an offensive rebound, was hit by a foul, and completed the third three-point play in under a minute. With the clock at 1:02, Dartmouth trailed, 62-63.

After two more Hanks free throws gave Dartmouth the 64-63 lead, the Big Green retained possession after a big defensive rebound by Katie Skelly '03. A controversial foul was called on the Hawks, and Sherryta Freeman '01 took advantage by connecting on two free throws to hand Dartmouth the 66-63 lead with 20 seconds remaining.

The Hawks had a chance to tie the game with a three-pointer, but Anne Whalen took an erratic two-point shot that was blocked by Skelly.

Hartford began the game strongly, scoring six points before the Big Green was able to respond. The Hawks kept the lead for most of the first half but lost it when Hanks hit her first career three-pointer with 7:33 to pull Dartmouth ahead, 17-16. The Big Green took control of the game with an 8-0 run to build a 27-18 lead with 4:05 to play, before closing out the half with a 29-25 advantage.

Freshman Jamie Librizzi was instrumental in Dartmouth's success, scoring a career-high nine points on 3-for-3 shooting from the three-point line. The Big Green also played tough inside, out-rebounding the Hawks 22-14.

For the game, Hanks led all scorers with season highs of 21 points and 14 rebounds, including six points, two rebounds, and a steal in the final two minutes. Despite shooting 4-of-12 from the field, Skelly also wrapped up a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds. Both players added three blocks.

For Hartford (9-8), Janeka Lopp led the team with 15 points while Johnson followed with 11. Whalen also had 11 points, but it was her fouls that allowed Hanks and Kinnear to complete three-point plays at the end of the game.

The win gives Dartmouth (4-11, 1-2 Ivy) its third consecutive of the year. The Big Green head down to New York to take on Albany this Saturday.