S & S investigates shower fiasco

Hanover Police and Safety and Security are both investigating after an unidentified middle-aged male was reported looking into an occupied shower stall in a Smith Hall women's bathroom Wednesday night.

Crime alerts posted around campus have informed students of the incident, which was reported immediately to Safety and Security at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

According to Safety and Security, the male walked into a bathroom in which a female Smith resident was showering and proceeded to pull the shower curtain back.

The student turned around and saw the man, who after opening the shower curtain looked into the stall and then immediately left.

The unidentified student was not touched or harmed in any other way, but promptly reported the incident to Safety and Security.

Officers so far have been unable to locate the man, who left the scene immediately.

He is described as a white male with a reddish goatee and height between 5 feet 7 inches and 6 feet. The night of the incident he wore a light blue watch cap, dark pants and maroon sweatshirt, the student reported.

Hanover Police is currently pursuing the official criminal investigation and working to confirm that the event did occur, a spokesperson said.

Should the man be found, he could face charges of criminal trespass or disorderly conduct, according to Hanover Police.

The misdemeanor criminal trespass charge is punishable by up to one year in prison and a $2,000 fine, while the lesser charge of disorderly conduct could result in a $1,000 fine.

And should the man be a Dartmouth student or employee, he could face sanctions from the College in addition to the criminal charges.

In such a case, Safety and Security would turn the case over to the appropriate College offices for further proceedings, according to Crime Prevention Specialist Rebel Roberts.

"We're not adjudicators, we're just fact finders," Roberts said.

And as fact finders, Safety and Security is working to gather any information students might have concerning the incident through crime alerts posted in all campus residence halls.

Students can help Safety and Security as "the eyes and ears of the campus, reporting anything suspicious they see," Roberts said.

In addition, Roberts encouraged students to take safety precautions against any future incidents.

"We always encourage students to lock their own door and be aware of their surroundings." Should they see someone suspicious, "we'd be happy to come check the situation out," Roberts added.

As the investigation continues with the incident still unresolved, Safety and Security is concerned primarily with the safety of the students.

"We're certainly open to helping the students in the community in any way," Roberts said.