Psi U attempts to salvage jump

With the future of the Psi Upsilon keg jump in danger after an insurance company withdrew coverage for the event and the ice rink on which it takes place, the fraternity is making a serious effort to find a way for the Winter Carnival tradition to continue.

"We are optimistic that a possible solution can be found to deal with the situation in a way which will make Psi U happy," Psi U chapter president Michael Holick '02 said, although he declined to comment on the specifics of the fraternity's strategy.

A lack of insurance coverage is the only obstacle blocking the 20th keg jump, but one that Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman told The Dartmouth is not negotiable -- liability issues absolutely prohibit the event taking place without coverage.

Efforts by the fraternity to find a way around the problem, therefore, will likely focus almost entirely on obtaining insurance coverage, possibly by finding a company willing to provide specific coverage for the ice rink and keg jump or by satisfying the outgoing company's concerns.

If the fraternity can obtain coverage for their ice rink and the Winter Carnival event for which it is created, Redman said there should be no problem allowing the keg jump to take place provided the College is also protected by the policy.

Redman explained that, because Psi U is a College-recognized organization, Dartmouth could be held liable if any accident were to take place during the keg jump or on the ice rink.

Comparing finding insurance for the keg jump to obtaining coverage for motorcycle stunt riding, Redman said he believed some company would be willing to cover the event, speculating, however, that such a policy might be quite expensive.

Holick's and Redman's comments came after a meeting yesterday afternoon, also attended by Psi U house manager Ty Garland '02.

The purpose of the meeting, Holick said, was "to see what we were really dealing with" and "to evaluate possible options."

Redman said Holick and Garland seemed somewhat upset that the College had not done more to find alternative insurance coverage but noted that the College's independent insurance agent unsuccessfully investigated other coverage options before notifying administrators of the insurance withdrawal.

The insurance company -- which provides coverage for all of Dartmouth fraternities' activities -- is requiring Psi U to sign an acknowledment that the keg jump and ice rink are specifically excluded from their policy.

Notification of the decision, made during the company's annual review of their coverage areas at the College, was received by the Office of Residential Life last Wednesday and Psi U was informed on Friday.