Here & Now

From a vote counter with a disputed ballot in a Florida district to a computer programmer with an arsenal in suburban Boston, we are constantly reminded that the decisions of individuals impact our daily lives. Each day the choices of a single person can change the way we see the world. With this in mind, we at Dartmouth must recognize and accept that we have the opportunity to take stands on issues and make our voices heard.

College only lasts four years. This is our time to play an active role in addressing problems in our community and in the world at large. This is our time to express our opinions freely and openly and to question the standards that have been set by those before us. This is not our time to be selfish and complacent.

We must be proactive. Whether we choose to mentor one child from the Upper Valley or hold a symbolic vigil for peace in the Middle East, we possess vast potential to engender positive change on all levels.

While Dartmouth is an institution resting on strong traditions, we must be willing to question these critically. We must maintain those that serve the College well, while simultaneously challenging others that do not. To make a difference, we must think beyond obstacles and have the courage to defy the norms that have been set by our predecessors.

In keeping with The Dartmouth's two century old tradition of encouraging campus-wide debate, we will continue to cover events as they occur and present the voices of diverse opinions. While we have updated the appearance of the newspaper, our goal will remain the same -- to serve as a forum for campus discussion. At the start of this new year, we hope that each individual member of the Dartmouth community will accept the importance of his or her voice and use this newspaper as a vehicle for elevating campus discourse.