Interim admins fill Marine void

Several interim appointments will fill the position left vacant when former Coordinator of the Sexual Abuse Awareness Program Susan Marine left the College last week.

Abby Tassel, who works with the Women's Information Service, will work part-time in both a counseling and advocacy role, and the Women's Resource Center and Health Resources will cover the programmatic aspect of Marine's old job.

In addition, residential life staff will help fill the position. Surabhi Lal, a Choates community director, will work in the sexual abuse men's prevention program while Massachusetts Row Area Director Nariah Broadus will help with the SAPPA and educational outreach components of Marine's job.

The search process for Marine's replacement will formally begin early next term, when the College places advertisements in higher education and sexual abuse prevention journals and sends mailings to directors of health services throughout the country.

At that time, the College will also form a hiring committee. Though the members of the committee have yet to be determined, Director of Health Resources Gabrielle Lucke and Director of the Women's Resource Center Giavanna Munafo will likely participate, as will one student and several faculty members and administrators.

Lucke said she hopes a replacement will be found before Summer term.

"We have an excellent program here, so I think that position is going to be very desirable to professionals in the field," said Lucke. "I think it will be an exciting search for us."

Marine came to the College four and a half years ago.

She began searching for new jobs two months ago, after deciding that she was ready for new career challenges and a life outside of Dartmouth. She will now work in Massachusetts's Public Health Department as the coordinator of violence prevention programs.