Students receive Palaeopitus honor

Twenty students from the Class of 2001 received the honor of being inducted into Dartmouth's Palaeopitus society last June.

The students became official members of the selective senior society during an outdoor ceremony held near the BEMA, at the historic "Lone Pine," the site of the first tree ever planted at the College.

The group of seniors advises the College president and dean of the College. Most of the society's activities last year revolved around the Student Life Initiative. This term's agenda has yet to be decided.

The members are unanimously selected by the graduating Palaeopitus members, and traditionally the group is composed of campus leaders in thought and opinion. Four seats are ex-officio positions for the Senior Class president, the president of The Dartmouth, the intern to the President of the College's office, and the president of the Student Assembly.

The fourth ex-officio seat will be filled this year, unlike last year, as current Assembly President Jorge Miranda is a member of the senior class.

The other members include Damaris Acosta, Elizabeth Agosto, Edward Bialas, Ivan Cestero, Nicholas Dankers, Tahir Golden, Charles Gussow, Margaret Kuecker, Gerald Lam, Joyce Lee, Thalia Margalit, Jessica Marshall, Mosopefoluwa Ogunyemi, Matthew Perez, Katharine Reichardt, Brad Russo, Louis Scerra, Alexandra Sophocles, and Shasta Smith.

Inductees who spoke to the Dartmouth expressed very positive sentiments about joining the organization.

"I feel very honored and very privileged to be amongst a group that has so much influence on campus and is willing to be hardworking to make Dartmouth better," Acosta said.

Miranda had similar praise for his fellow inductees.

"I think the '01 delegation is definitely going to be a good one," he said. "I was impressed to be in the company of so many great people -- people who have been very active, some since their freshman year, others fairly recently. Overall, [it is] a group of individuals who really care about Dartmouth."