Eagle Scout Pride

To the Editor:

I enjoyed very much the article Andy Edwards wrote for The Dartmouth. I am an Eagle Scout from Berkeley, California and completely understand what you are saying. The troop that I come from is open to all sexual orientations, and all young men are welcome. The one part of the article that I did not agree with was your feelings towards being an Eagle Scout. I am very proud of being an Eagle Scout because of what scouting has done for me and other people I have known. The fact that the National Council says that certain people are "not allowed" makes me disappointed at their politics but does not destroy my faith in the organization. Being an Eagle Scout (to me) means something about myself; who I am and what my accomplishments are and will be. Just because I am proud to be an Eagle Scout does not mean that I am proud of all of the policies of the National Council. Wearing the Eagle Scout Medal and Patch is a symbol of my accomplishments, both now and in the future. They do not show my support for National Council policies but rather my commitment to myself to always do what I believe to be the right thing to do.