Commentarii

A Lesson to Learn: The majority of students' reactions to the unveiling of Berry Library ranged from mild acceptance to strong dislike. Most found what they saw to be sterile, cold and unwelcoming -- lacking all the charm of its landmark neighbor. But the frightening thing is that these responses mirrored what many members of the community have been saying for several years about the entire concept. Now that the largest donation in the history of the College has been spent and the building is complete, we have to live with this. But what if the College had heeded professors' warnings and student petitions? What if the Trustees had acted upon the Design Review Committee's rejection? We would have a better library -- a library that would be as cherished at the turn of the next century as Baker is today. With numerous building projects and a campus expansion in the works, the lesson to be learned is that those living most closely within the Dartmouth community know best what this campus needs.

Trade With China: The Senate voted this week to grant Permanent Normal Trade Relations to China, a bill passed earlier this summer by the House and almost certain to be signed by the President. This vote clears the way for dramatically reduced tariff and non-tariff barriers in China, thereby further opening the world's most populous country to American businesses. The passage should be applauded because opening China to American interests and businesses will aid the ongoing effort to influence that nation with American ideals of human rights and free economy.

The Missing Sorority: This Thursday marked the beginning of the final fall rush. Although the sororities are hoping to guarantee a bid to everyone who participates, a certain element of uncertainty remains. The admirable efforts of the Panhellenic leaders may not be enough to overcome the absence of a seventh sorority. If the goal is to make the system less exclusive and more inviting for all, then it makes no sense to continue the moratorium on new single-sex Greek houses.