Area hikes offer scenic options

Despite the popularity of outdoor recreation here at Dartmouth, many students may not be aware of the proximity and promise of two local hiking delights, the Velvet Rocks Trail and Gile Mountain.

Within walking distance of campus, the Velvet Rocks Trail can be found just beyond the Hanover Coop Mobil Station. Stretching 5.2 miles round trip, the Dartmouth Outing Club estimates it can be completed in only three hours. Cabin & Trail maintains it regularly.

At mile 1.5, hikers reach a trail junction. The right fork continues north along the Appalachian Trail to the moss-covered Velvet Rocks themselves; the left blue-blazed trail leads to the Velvet Rocks shelter.

The shelter was originally constructed in 1936 in front of Robinson Hall as part of the DOC's annual membership drive. Later it was disassembled and rebuilt in its present location to serve as an overnight stop on the Appalachian Trail.

Its large overhanging roof and log design model, the "Adirondack" style is typical of accommodations found along the AT in New England.

"The Velvet Rocks shelter is a great place to stop and have lunch or around this time of year, meet some AT thru-hikers and hear their tales," said Joe Cloyd '02.

Trail-running the Velvet Rocks is a favorite escape for Flora Krivak-Tetley '02, and she often follows the side trail just past the shelter which leads to an overlook.

"There's a view to the southeast which is spectacular, especially if it's a little foggy out. You feel like you're not anywhere near a town. It's really peaceful," she said.

As a testament to the beauty of this view, at least one prospective student decided to matriculate after seeing it for himself.

Explained host Phil Mone '02, "He couldn't choose between Dartmouth and another school. A few hours before he had to leave, I took him on a hike to Velvet Rocks, and he looked out over the eastern lookout to these farms in Etna. After standing there for five minutes in silence, he turned to me and said, 'I'm coming to Dartmouth.'"

The famous Velvet Rocks can be found a few miles further along the AT part of the fork. Arranged somewhat like ledges, they are bedecked in the waves of velvety moss that earned them their name.

Though not as close to campus, the Gile Mountain trail is still only 7.3 miles away off the Upper Turnpike Road. It runs 1.4 miles and length and takes an estimated hour to complete.

After 0.7 miles, hikers will find the old fire ranger's cabin. Frequent fires used to ravage the dense forests, and towers were necessary for rangers to monitor the valleys below. However, improved fire fighting techniques and better retention of moisture by an older forest have now greatly reduced the chance of a fire

A dozen yards behind the cabin is Gile Mountain itself and the fire tower.

Climbing the fire tower has almost become a rite of passage for some a Dartmouth student. Though a little shaky, it rewards the brave with a stunning view. The platform on top is protected by a low wall and has room for several people to camp out and catch a sunrise or sunset.

"Being able to [get away from campus so easily] really puts things into perspective. Going into the woods, no matter how close they really are, is just a healthy thing to do. It adds another dynamic to be being here," Krivak-Tetley said.

An avid supporter of hiking, the DOC suggests hikers be prepared with all necessary equipment and an understanding of the trail, knowledge of weather conditions and recognition of personal limits. Additionally, according to the DOC, it is wise to leave an itinerary with friends, make an emergency plan and, most of all, have fun.