Future of Phi Delt house still unclear

Despite use of their house to hold alumni receptions throughout Commencement and Reunion week, members of Phi Delta Alpha fraternity will not be permitted to reside in or utilize the facility this summer following the College's decision last March to derecognize the organization until at least 2002.

According to Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman, Phi Delt's future plans for the house still remain unclear.

"We're waiting for them to decide what to do or not do," Redman said. He added that the College will work with the Phi Delta Alpha Corporation, which owns the house, to determine future plans for the building that are mutually acceptable to the organization and the College.

"We'd be happy, whenever they're ready, to discuss the future use of the house," he said.

Redman also said the College would consider leasing or purchasing the property, but said such an offer has not yet been made because Phi Delt has not decided what they wish to do with the property.

As privately-owned property, the house can be used for any purposes that the organization feels are appropriate as long as the house complies with local zoning laws. As a result, alumni were allowed to hold receptions in the building without violating any College polices.

College derecognition sanctions, however, prohibit undergraduate students from residing in the house.

Redman said the primary issues being discussed right now include day to day business such as maintenance of the property and minor repair work being done on the house.

Redman also said the organization requested to be included in the series of audits to be performed in the coming weeks as a result of the Initiative.

The audits will be used to determine what changes must be made to individual houses in order to comply with the new physical plant standards imposed by the initiative.

According to Redman, the College does not have plans to take any additional security measures with the house such as having Safety and Security officers parole the building on a regular basis.

Redman said the house will be monitored just as other buildings around the campus, and that Safety and Security would respond appropriately if there appeared to be a problem.