Magleby '00 plays rugby for USA

As one of the most successful rugby players in Dartmouth history, Alexander Magleby '00 represented the United States in Paris for an international tournament last week.

In Paris, Magleby and the U.S. Eagles played against Argentina, New Zealand, Morocco and Ireland, where he started in the majority of the games. After the U.S. team lost three close games, New Zealand " this tournament's World Series sevens champion -- dominated the American team in a 59-0 victory.

Asked about the tournament, he said, "[it was] absolutely an amazing experience. I was able to play a sport I love while representing my country."

The Salt Lake City native played for Highland High School, where his team won three championships during his four-year tenure. In his senior year, his team even traveled to New Zealand and Australia to play against the world's best teams.

As the "eight man" for the Dartmouth rugby team, Magleby led the Dartmouth rugby team as a captain this season.Magleby was one the three collegiate players on the team. He was scouted for the national team when the U.S. coaching staff saw him play during a match against the national champion University of California at Berkeley this spring.

"This was my first time playing with the U.S. Eagles, and hopefully not the last," Magleby said.

Magleby plans to play 15s rugby for a club team -- Aspen RFC -- this summer and he hopes to be on the US team's full sevens World Series Circuit, which will travel to countries such as Argentina, Fiji, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Japan.