Grand Union to change ownership

The largest supermarket near campus, currently Grand Union, will change hands this summer to P&C, which will undertake small renovations before reopening in the same space.

After coming to Main Street 10 years ago, Grand Union has been a staple source of groceries for Dartmouth students, though it is sometimes criticized for high prices, lack of brand diversity and poor quality.

According to Corporate Communications Manager for Grand Union Sue Marsh, the store was largely successful, but failed to renegotiate the terms of its lease with the contracting company Penn Traffic.

Marsh would not describe or specify the terms of contention.

"We worked with them, but we just didn't come to an agreement," she said.

The Grand Union store will close July 30, at which time P&C will begin preparations for its opening several weeks later.

Grand Union's two other New Hampshire stores, which were leased with the same contracting company, will also close at that time.

General manager of the Hanover store Nancy Williams said she does not expect any changes in personnel with the exchange, though she said she was not aware of the scale of P&C's renovations.

Grand Union owns 218 stores nationwide, concentrated in six states.

The other two Grand Union stores in New Hampshire, which are located in West Lebanon and Lincoln, will also be turned over to P&C.