A Message to the Dartmouth Community

To the Editor:

As you may know, a faculty member in Computer Science has raised concerns about possible violations of the Academic Honor Principle with respect to an assignment in one of his classes.

The Academic Honor Principle states that: "Fundamental to the principle of independent learning are the requirements of honesty and integrity in the performance of academic assignments." Because we know that the Dartmouth Community cares deeply about this principle, we wanted to provide as much information as we can at this time about these issues, consistent with our obligations to protect student confidentiality and conduct a fair process of investigation and, where appropriate, hearing.

As of the present time, the Undergraduate Judicial Affairs Officer has received allegations concerning possible violations by a total of 78 students in this class. No conclusions have been reached as to whether any of these instances does or does not constitute a violation of the Academic Honor Principle. Out of this total, 63 students have been referred to the Committee on Standards (COS) for hearing and decision. Allegations concerning an additional group of students are under review.

The Committee on Standards is a standing committee made up of faculty, students, and administrators. It is charged with hearing and deciding cases involving alleged student violations of the Academic Honor Principle and the Code of Conduct. It is essential to remember that referral to the COS for hearing is not a determination that a violation has in fact occurred. We are working hard to ensure that all allegations of Honor Principle violations are heard and decided fairly and as promptly as possible, mindful as we are of the seriousness of these allegations for the individual students as well as for the community as a whole.