ORL announces summer options

Students remaining on campus this summer will be able to choose between three College-owned dormitory clusters in addition to Greek and off-campus housing options.

The Office of Residential Life will offer Summer term housing in the Gold Coast and Massachusetts Row dormitories as well as in the Maxwell Channing Cox apartments.

In total, approximately 640 beds will be available in the residence halls to undergraduates remaining on campus this summer.

Some affinity houses will also be open this summer, although Director of Housing Services Lynn Rosenblum said the specific facilities that will be available have not yet been determined.

However, students living in the 15 off-campus properties -- that the College intends to purchase in July and whose lease expires prior to the end of Summer term -- will need to find other housing for the summer.

Residents were notified last year that the College does not plan to renew any residential leases to facilitate inspections and renovations of the properties, Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman said.

Redman said he does not expect dislocated students to have any problems finding alternative housing since they have had plenty of time to do so and also since there is typically ample residential space during Summer term.

Redman said ORL expects about half of the beds that the apartments in the various buildings provide to become available again in the fall.

"Worst case, 40 to 50 students will need to find someplace else to live" this fall, Redman said, adding that McColloch Hall, the addition to the East Wheelock cluster scheduled to open Fall term, should accommodate most of these students.

The long term fate of the off-campus properties has not yet been decided and will eventually depend on many factors, including some town of Hanover plans and the condition of individual buildings, Redman said.

While some clusters are housing students and others are hosting visitors to Dartmouth, the Ripley/Woodward/Smith cluster will be closed to undergo renovations this summer.

Among other alterations and repairs, workers will remodel the cluster's bathrooms, install new carpeting in all rooms and hallways, and improve handicapped accessibility.

"What will happen will be pretty much along the same lines as what happened at the Gold Coast this summer," Director of Residential Operations Woody Eckels said.

The renovation will not cost the cluster more than a few beds, Redman said, and will also be made up when the Wheelock addition opens.

Plans for the renovation have not yet been finalized subject to the receipt and College approval of the contractor's cost estimates for the project.

Rosenblum said that the Student Life Initiative steering committee recommendation that students not be allowed to live in coed fraternity sorority houses during the summer will not have any effect this year.

Applications for summer housing will be due Apr. 6. The new draw system being instituted by ORL next fall will not affect the Summer term housing applications, which will continue to be submitted electronically.