Assembly passes resolution for Thayer lobby TV

The Student Assembly passed three resolutions last night, calling for a cable-equipped television in the Thayer Dining Hall lobby, confirming the proposed "Battle of the Bands" as the spring "campus-unifying event," and finalizing the plan for an Assembly report on the Student Life Initiative.

The television plan, which proposes that an unused TV from Westside Buffet be placed in Thayer lobby at the upper left of the lighted dining facilities sign, could potentially be realized as soon as next week.

According to John Apostilides '03 and Chance Hill '01, who sponsored the resolution, the TV will be used primarily for showing news channels such as CNN, although important events like the Olympics could also be shown.

The resolution was formulated in response to concerns that life in a "Big Green bubble" left students unaware of current events in the outside world.

The Assembly also decided that "Battle of the Bands" should be this Spring term's campus unifying event, and awarded various groups a total of $1,000 to arrange the concert. Students will be asked to donate non-perishable food items on entering.

The third resolution confirmed that the Assembly's final report on the steering committee's proposals will be submitted directly to the Trustees rather than to the Student Response Task Force.

However, the Assembly will submit a "progress report" of their incomplete proposals to the Task Force in time for its Feb. 25 deadline.

The final report of the Assembly's decisions will come out sometime after spring break in time for the Trustees' deadline for submissions in early April.

According to Assembly president Dean Krishna '01, "the decision to submit the report directly to the Trustees is advantageous because it will not be grouped together with proposals by other student organizations, nor will it be diluted by the Student Task Force."