Ivy leaders to attend summit at Yale U.

Ten representatives from each Ivy League school are expected to gather at Yale University in February for the First Annual Ivy Leaders Summit, an Ivy Council-sponsored conference focusing on leadership issues in the 21st century.

Planned events at the student-run conference will focus on "Integrity and Responsibility in Leadership," and include panel discussions, small discussion groups, keynote addresses, and debates.

The summit is the keynote event of the Ivy Council, which consists of delegates from student governments at all eight Ivy League institutions.

The summit itself has been organized by Ivy Leaders Summit Planning Committee co-chairs Amar Dhand '01 and Yale University sophomore Addisu Demissie.

"We often forget that the Ivy League is a family," Dhand said. "One of our goals is to unite students and professors from Ivy League schools and establish basic leadership ties."

The summit, which is currently accepting applications, will feature approximately 25 speakers, including Yale University President Richard Levin and Harold Saunders, Director of International Affairs at the Charles F. Kettering Foundation.

College President James Wright will also speak at a keynote panel discussion.

"The summit will be a two-way learning process, not only between students and speakers, but also between students and students," said Jorge Miranda '01, Dartmouth's head delegate to the Ivy Council.

Participants will attend two keynote addresses, a keynote panel, and two panel discussions focusing on leadership issues applicable to business, politics, law, or the sciences.

"The conference was designed for all students, not just those interested in student government," Miranda said.

Students will also take part in team debates centering on a contentious leadership question to be posed at the conference. Both the debates and panel discussions will be moderated by university professors.

The basic idea for the summit was formed two years ago by several people including Dhand, Demissie, and former Ivy Council president Scott Jacobs '99.

"We've been putting a lot of hard work into this since our freshman spring, and we're really excited about it," said Dhand, who also said feedback for this year's event has been very positive.

Other conference speakers from Dartmouth College include Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia and Government professors David Kang and Lynn Vavreck and Psychology professor Paul Corballis.

The application committee, which include six Dartmouth students, will select the applicants from each of the eight Ivy League schools.