Hate Crime is not Indicative of Dartmouth Community

To the Editor:

In Friday's Dartmouth a student said something to the effect that it was hard to believe that anti-semitism of the kind recently demonstrated could take place at an Ivy League institution like Dartmouth. In response to that comment I would like to say that this type of anti-semitism can take place anywhere. This incident should not be taken as a commentary on the Ivy League, but rather one on societal ills. The Dartmouth community in no way has embraced this action nor the individual, nor has the College sought to promote it or condone it. Rather, it has been handled in the most expeditious and appropriate manner possible. The College is to be commended for acting in such a manner.

Let's not let this incident derail us. We must not allow one individual to embroil Dartmouth in further controversy. Things are going pretty well right now at Dartmouth, and the actions of the individual, however inappropriate, must not be construed as a commentary on our campus. The outrage is campus-wide, and it is well warranted, but let's recognize that Dartmouth didn't create this problem, nor did it condone it, and let's give ourselves a mutual pat on the back for not tolerating this. Then let's move on.