Brotherhood is Alive and Well in Fraternities

I just wanted to thank the five "Holier than Thou" seniors for finally speaking out against the Greek system. Without them, I wouldn't know what to think or do.

For example, I never realized that when I say "Sup?" instead of "Hi, how are you today, what is going on?" that the Greek system has dumbened me. See? I even used a fake word right there! Or is it a real word? I don't know! Sheesh.

Also, I never realized that I shouldn't be spending most of my social time with my fraternity brothers, even though they are my best friends. It also never occurred to me that, by talking about my brothers, I am declaring that I am an alcoholic. I will certainly think twice next time.

Obviously systems where there can exist organizations comprised of only men or only women are terrible. But why stop with the banishment of just the CFSC? We should fight for the banishment of ALL groups that are single sex. If you are a woman, can you join the Aires? HELL NO! DOWN WITH THE AIRES! And what about the Cords? And personally, I feel very discriminated against by the Decibelles, Rockapellas, and Subtleties. I can't join any of them, simply because I have a penis.

And what about sports teams? Can a woman join the football team? Can a man join the field hockey team? Even if they could, I bet if they weren't any good at the sport, they wouldn't be allowed to join the team. That is certainly discriminatory. I can get barred from joining the swimming team simply because I cannot swim? Not right at all.

Ok, now I know most of you are saying that is the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard. That is how I feel about getting rid of the Greek system.

The Greek system is an important support group for both men and women. It provides a place where one can go and feel safe and close to people they trust. Just as many men and women feel close to their a capella groups or sports teams, so do the Greeks to their respective houses.

Yes, I am a brother in a fraternity. My best friends in the entire world are also brothers in my fraternity. They are not my best friends because they drink beers with me, or shoot heroin with me, or rape women with me, or any of the other awful things fraternity men do. They are my best friends because they are always there for me, and for all of the brothers. I know that the five seniors have good arguments because they have so much experience with the Greek system (scathing sarcasm), but their argument that brotherhoods aren't really brotherhoods is dead wrong. I have never felt closer to anyone in my life, with the exception of my parents, than I have to my brothers. I don't know what it's like in other fraternities, since I'm only in one, but in my fraternity we feel love. We love each other and would do anything for each other.

I am a senior. I am a bitter senior. I used to be bitter because I knew I had to leave here in less than a year. Now I'm bitter because, if people start thinking like our illustrious five seniors, I will have no reason to ever come back.