Students tout their candidates

As the dates of the Republican and Democratic Town Meetings draw nearer, student supporters of presidential hopefuls met Friday afternoon to promote their campaigns at a Candidates Fair held at the Rockefeller Center.

The event, sponsored by the Rockefeller Public Issues Forum and organized by RPIF President Brian Maloney '01, took place in the Hinman Forum, where student representatives of several campaign organizations set up tables with pamphlets, posters, and other paraphernalia promoting their respective candidates.

Student representatives of the two Democratic presidential hopefuls, Vice President Al Gore and former New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley, attended the fair, as did representatives of four of the Republican presidential contenders, including Texas Governor George W. Bush, former American Red Cross President Elizabeth Dole, Arizona Senator John McCain and Utah Senator Orrin Hatch.

A representative for Republican candidate Steve Forbes, although scheduled to attend, was not present at the event.

According to Maloney, the purpose of the fair was to inform students about the candidates for the 2000 presidential election as well as to give them the chance to join those campaigns that sparked their interests.

"I'm considering joining one of the campaigns ... when I get back to my room and read the propaganda they have given me, it will definitely help me make my choice," John Kalb '03 said.

Some campus campaign organizations already enjoy a substantial student base, with the Gore, Bradley, Bush, and McCain campaigns each boasting BlitzMail lists of at least 100 student participants.

Student representatives of the Gore campaign Tom Leatherbee '01, and Amanda Molk '01 said at the Candidate Fair that the vice president is scheduled to meet with student campaign workers prior to the Democratic Town Meeting on October 27.

Other Gore events have included a porch party at Collis and a literature drop.

The Bradley campaign at Dartmouth appears to be one of the strongest, and supporters report a BlitzMail list of over 200.

Scott Given '02, who heads the Bradley campaign at Dartmouth, attributes Bradley's strong campus following partly to the candidate's frequent visits to New Hampshire.

Fifteen Dartmouth students recently traveled to the town of Peterborough, N.H., where Bradley delivered a speech addressing the concerns of working families.

More students will be able to see the candidate at a rally to be held in front of the Hopkins Center on Oct. 26, the eve of the Democratic Town Hall Meeting according to Given.

The McCain campaign currently has 100 students listed as members of the campaign organization. In the past year, McCain has visited the Hanover area three times.

Other organizations, including those of Dole, Forbes, and Hatch, have smaller numbers of students working for their campaigns and were aiming to garner more student support at the event.

The Dole campaign, with 60 Dartmouth students, is beginning to get underway at the College, according to the group's president Kelly Grieco '01.

On the eve of the Republican Town Meeting, Dole is scheduled to appear at a rally, according to Grieco. The location has not been determined.

So far, 15 Dartmouth students are listed as members of the Hatch campaign, according to student representatives Gabriella Garcia '01 and Spencer Jones '00.

In order to familiarize students with Hatch, a latecomer to the race for president, the representatives distributed a quiz on the Senator during the candidate fair, asking such questions as "What State is Orrin Hatch from?"

Although the Forbes campaign was not present at the candidate fair, student representative Paul Biggs '01, says that campaign events and activities promoting the candidate will be held during Homecoming.

Forbes is scheduled to visit the Hanover area during his bus tour of northern New Hampshire, which is taking place from Oct. 21 through Oct. 24. The exact date of Forbes' visit is uncertain.