Self-Evaluation Indicates an Inclusive Rush Process

In yesterday's lead article about fraternity rush ("IFC to discuss new rush option") there were a few very important points missing that deserve attention.

First, this is the first time that statistics concerning how many men rushed and how many men received bids have ever been gathered and evaluated.

Second, when we began this process no one knew what sort of results to expect. The results reported yesterday were rough estimates. The final figures fall closer to 337 men who rushed, 305 who got bids. This means that an impressive 91 percent of those who rushed received bids. Even without considering how many rushed merely to accompany a friend or to grab some free food, this is an astounding figure that goes a long way to dispelling many myths (previously unable to disprove) about the fraternity system at Dartmouth.

Third, this already impressive 91 percent is considered a starting point for us -- a very high bar to start at indeed. From here we take a closer look at the rush numbers and rush system to see why some people did not get bids. Did they only visit one house? Did they not spend enough time at certain houses? How do we even out the dispersion between houses?

We are certain that in the following years we will be able to improve upon the extraordinary rush results achieved this year.