One of Those Weeks

This past week was one of those weeks. You probably all know the kind of week I'm talking about. A week of highs and lows, unforgettable and extremely forgettable moments, boredom, exhilaration, etc. etc. Part of why I'm writing this is so that I won't forget this week later on in the future.

The place: Dartmouth College. The student: me. The plot: senior college student moves clumsily through first week of classes while juggling more than he can possibly deal with only to have most of it end unsuccessfully. That is officially one of those weeks.

Imagine a place of serene beauty. Of pure tranquility and autumnal splendor. Long Island, you say? No, not quite. Then throw in two days of rain, 4000 college students who all look the same, a few skunks, some alcohol, a bunch of stressed out LSAT takers, and little old me.

The week started on an upbeat note. An astonishingly astonishing rugby victory, followed by much rejoicing. It quickly turned sour, however, when I decided that I didn't really need to meet the person I said I would meet at the football game, which incidentally, did not go particularly well either. Saturday and Sunday pass with little else being accomplished, except a random trip to an orchard and a Redskins victory.

Oh wait, then there was the Career Services orientation in which many students were informed that they will in fact not be getting jobs thrown at them like candy. Truly a shock to me. I had expected the jobs to come pouring in, but apparently, some effort has to be exerted in this so-called "job hunt." So now, in the time where one would normally lie down and contemplate the meaning of life, one must instead go to Career Services and begin to think about the means of life. Yee-haw and whoopie.

With the arrival of Monday, the LSATters have officially decided that their life depends on this test, and everybody has decided that the skunks are just not going to go away. The River has started smelling particularly pungent. Monday I run Rip Road for the first time in my life, crossing it off my list of things to do before graduation, them waddle home with shin splints and skin irritation. And then Monday night I hang out at my fraternity. So far so good. The story turns quickly sour again, however, when I wake up to find myself duct-taped into a chair, and quite bewildered as to what is going on. With Herculean strength, however, I manage to free myself, much like Samson as he destroyed the temple, remove the duct-tape from my hair (without losing too much) and bewildered, decide perhaps more sleep is in order. And so begins Tuesday.

Tuesday brings rugby practice and x-hour and CFSC meetings. Truly exhilarating. Arriving at practice, I mention to a friend that today has been one of those days. Little do I know at the time what still lies ahead. More shin-splints, more irritation, and CFSC meetings.

And so Tuesday passed into the abyss.

Wednesday is always a day of promise. Class, rugby, meetings, etc. Not to mention a quiz on the geography of China. I wonder if Chinese people take geography classes on the U.S. And Wednesday did in fact live up to its expectations 100%, but very early Thursday morning was a trifle disappointing when I learned that I'm really not as charming as I think when inebriated.

Thursday, I had a 10A followed by an x-hour, followed by an attempt to be a little more charming, followed by rugby, which was abandoned due to my malfunctioning legs. But not to worry, we're certain to win our game this weekend. Thursday night, rather than deal with homework, I watch a movie. I then go to my fraternity and little else happens.

Friday I skipped a class, went to another, sat on Collis front porch for a long time, and began to feel better about the week. Friday night I was sober, and I had a quiet night after seeing a hilarious play at the Moore. And then, upon checking Blitz, learned that the father of a friend had just passed away. And that clinched it. One of those weeks, indeed. Friday could've gone better.

Saturday started early with a 7a.m. drive to Connecticut to win our rugby game. Things didn't go according to plan there either. A loss to one of the most simian-like groups of college students you will ever lay eyes on as they complete their 6-year communications degree programs at UConn truly brought everything down just a notch. And yet, at the end of it, as we barreled up I-91 with the sun setting to our left, I could not wait to get back to Dartmouth for more of this week. And then Saturday night we partied like rock stars, all of us. The LSATters who were either happy or dejected, the skunks, who kept mostly to themselves, the rugby players, who decided that at least we'll make more money than UConn, and everyone else, who just felt like it I guess.

And here I am now on Sunday afternoon typing this to get it in before deadline. I really hope next week isn't one of those weeks too, but there is something about being at this place that leads me to believe that next week will be much like this one and the hundreds before it where I just barely keep my head above water. But the foliage will be nicer, and the Green will still be all different colors at night, so at least there's that.