Image is Not Everything

George W. Bush missed his calling. Forget the oil business and owning a baseball team, Bush should have gotten involved with horseracing. As the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, he has enjoyed an overwhelming swell of support from the public and political elites because of his ability to play the game of presidential campaign horseracing. Bush has not built the largest war chest in presidential campaign history and repeatedly won national polls because of his willingness and desire to educate the public on his positions. Rather, Bush, with the help of a seemingly insurmountable campaign machine, has been able to engineer an ambiguous presidential image that has attracted the support and excitement of many, months before the first primary election.

The son of a former president, George W. has had the luxury of inheriting an extensive list of powerful political connections. Richard Ben Cramer, in his book, "What It Takes: The Way to the White House," writes of a list composed of 30,000 "friends" that George Bush, Sr. created in the years before, during, and after his presidency. One can only imagine how large that list is today, and from how many of daddy's "friends" Junior receives help, advice, and money. Then again, in a world where connections matter, Bush cannot be faulted for having an important family and skillfully using these resources.

Every media, image, and political consultant in this country is salivating with the hope of having an opportunity to work for George W. His photogenic smile, his warm Texan demeanor, and his Clintonesque interpersonal skills make him an obviously attractive candidate. Over the past four months, Bush has consistently topped off all major public opinion polls while collecting financial donations and influential endorsements. It is clear that Bush's consultants are aware of their candidate's political market value. They have highlighted certain attributes in order to create a winning image -- an image of a man who could be the next President of the United States.

However, something is missing. That something is substance. What does George W. Bush stand for? Every time his face gleams over the television screen or he is quoted in print, the same two phrases abound: "compassionate conservativism," and "prosperity with a purpose." Credit should be given to his speechwriters, as these soundbites have become the core of his campaign platform. But so what? Shouldn't every person we consider for the White House be compassionate? Shouldn't every candidate be interested in prosperity that has a purpose?

George W. Bush's campaign website lists the names of many powerful players who have chosen to endorse him. He has garnered the verbal and financial support of people from the National Rifle Association, to the Congressional GOP, to various CEOs from some of the world's largest businesses. One has to wonder though, why is it that so many people have thrown their money and their word behind George W. Bush -- behind a man of whom they know very little other than where he went to college, where he lives, and who his parents are? The answer is one based on selfish motives. These people have blindly pledged their support with the hopes of playing a significant role in the making of the next president. I am sure the countless senators and representatives who faithfully pledged their support never knew Bush well enough to know he would be repeatedly attacking the decisions and actions they made on the Hill in the past week.

The truth is: very few people in this country really know what George W. Bush is about and whether or not he is capable of being the President of the United States. It is imperative of George W. Bush, and of his campaign to inform the voter, to strengthen what is already an attractive and favored image with specifics. Moreover, it is imperative of the voting public to demand specifics, to make George W. Bush reveal to the country what he stands for and what he will do as the leader of our country, and to prove that a vote cast towards him is the right decision.

Perhaps, however, the Bush campaign knows the political game too well. Perhaps, when the specifics are revealed the poll numbers will drop and this untouchable candidate will not be the sure thing he is portrayed as.