Gore Campaign Coverage Neglected by The Dartmouth

In light of the thorough nature of your interviewing and coverage of the campaigns of Senators Bradley and McCain, I was both surprised and disheartened by the cursory and second-hand commentary you tried to pass off as news about the Democratic front-runner, Vice President Al Gore ("Candidates prepare for visit to College." October 4, 1999).

You printed statistics about how many times Bradley and McCain have visited New Hampshire, as well as how many students Governor Bush has signed up in the past week. Here are the statistics that you neglected.

Since early last week, Vice President Gore has had over sixty Dartmouth students pledge their support to his campaign, and the Students for Gore blitz list has grown to over 125 names. The Vice President has been to New Hampshire 13 times, covering 18 days, and additionally Mrs. Gore has visited the state six times over seven days. Both have planned numerous additional visits before the year's end. In fact, just this past Sunday afternoon the Vice President met with his closest supporters in Dover, and he intends to be in New Hampshire again this weekend.

Gore's is also the only campaign with an office in Hanover and, for that matter, anywhere in the Upper Valley.