Environmentalists to rally at forum

Satellite trucks, secret service agents and presidential hopefuls will not be the only additions to the typically serene Hanover scene Wednesday and Thursday. College students concerned with the environment will also back rallies on the Green to protest environmental degradation before the Town Meetings both evenings.

Approximately 50 students and community members who are expected to demonstrate will confront two issues -- a major commercial airport that may be built only miles from the Everglades National Park in Florida and global warming.

Oliver Bernstein '03 has been planning the protest of the Homestead airport proposal since he arrived on campus this fall, and said he hopes the demonstration will teach the community and the national media about the issue, increase activism at the College and prod the candidates toward taking a stand on the issues.

According to Alan Farago -- the chair of the Sierra Club Miami Group -- this concern is not one that only pertains to Dade County, Fl., but one that could potentially set an important precedent for the rest of this country's national parks.

"We find that there's too much rhetoric and not enough action on the part of public officials to provide lasting protections for our national parks," he said. "It's entirely appropriate that the presidential candidates admit, focus and acknowledge their role in supporting our national parks."

Bernstein said if the Homestead airport plans are approved, a plane will fly over the national park every two minutes and will contribute to noise pollution, water contamination, urban sprawl and air pollution.

Farago said Bernstein's effort to rally Dartmouth students during the Town Meetings is important, especially since the Homestead airport construction is an issue that pertains to the 2000 presidential election.

Despite his self-purported pro-environmental stance, Democratic front runner Al Gore has not come out against the airport's construction.

Farago speculated that Gore's avoidance of the issue is related to politics and campaign finance because the group that will have exclusive rights to build the airport -- the Latin Builders Association -- is a key Florida contributor.

Bernstein said the protest does not target Gore in particular, but hopes to inform all of the candidates of the issue and its national importance.

To build support for the protest, Bernstein has sent BlitzMail messages to students and posted fliers all over campus.

"We have loads of people from all different groups who are just psyched about it -- people who are into activism and people who just heard about the issue," Bernstein said.

He said the actual protest will take place across the street from The Hopkins Center on a roped off portion of the Green and the protestors will use banners, posters, airhorns and megaphones to make their points.

The part of the demonstration that focuses on global warming is being organized mostly by the New Hampshire branch of the Sierra Club.

Molly Redmond '02, co-chair of ESD, said people from all over New Hampshire and possibly beyond will be present for this part of the protest, which will happen at the same time and place as the Homestead airport demonstration.

According to Director of Conferences and Events Linda Hathorn, the Green has historically been off limits for student protests, but because of increased security this Wednesday and Thursday, it is not possible to hold the ESD demonstration on the Hop patio.

She added that recently the restrictions that determine which events can be held on the Green have been loosened, allowing more student groups to hold their events there.

"Not everything that's happening on the Green is protesting," she said. "It's an area for assembly."

She said the ESD event is educational and will bring more awareness to the community.