Class of 2003 elects council officers

Members of the 2003 Class Council elected their class officials during a special meeting last night in 2 Rockefeller Center.

The class elected Daniel Chang as president, Carolyn Johnson as vice president, Ross Landau as treasurer and Brad Plumer as secretary.

"I'm really feeling the spirit of our class right now," Chang said. "I'm looking forward to bringing the class together because this is one of the most enthusiastic and energetic classes with a lot of creative minds."

Chang was elected from a group of nine candidates and won after a run off against David Horniak.

Johnson shed tears of joy after winning the race for vice president in a group of four candidates and was elected after a run off against Lyndsay Hirschfeld.

"Before I came [to Dartmouth] people told me I was going to love it here," she said. "I had this warm feeling when I stepped onto campus ... now I wouldn't want to be any other place."

Plumer said that he knew he wanted to get involved and one of his goals is getting other people more informed about activities.

"A lot of people talk about unity; I want to get people involved," he said.

Landau, who won in a run-off against Emily Turner, expressed similar desires. "I've never ran for anything before, because student council in high school was a futile effort. But the councils here can really make a difference," he said.

First Year Office Intern Jorge Miranda '01 said he felt that the elections went really well.

"I believe that Dartmouth revolves around the Freshman class because it brings a whole new perspective and energy. I hope that they keep the energy up and help energize Dartmouth," he added.

Miranda has been running the elections and class meetings since the beginning of the term.

The newly elected class officials hope to create a sense of unity and maintain the energy that is apparent in the class now.

Chang also referred to the recent Residential and Social Life Initiative, saying that it presented an exciting opportunity for the class.

Members who had attended three class meetings were allowed to vote, and approximately 85 students voted.