CFSC reps to meet with steering committee

The steering committee will meet in Hanover this weekend with representatives of the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council at the CFSC's request, while continuing to move toward a final set of recommendations to the Board of Trustees on their Student Life Initiative.

While committee co-chair Trustee Susan Dentzer '77 told The Dartmouth yesterday the committee has honored every request to speak with it thus far, the committee is moving toward final decisions and "the door is obviously very quickly closing," on meeting with the steering committee.

Jaimie Paul '00, CFSC president, said the steering committee will be meeting with members of the CFSC leadership, including CFSC treasurer Kevan Higgins '00, Delta Delta Delta sorority President Caroline Fayard '00, Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority President Anne Mullins '00, Psi Upsilon fraternity President Teddy Rice '00 and Alpha Theta coed fraternity President Mike Holmes '00.

Paul said the CFSC requested the session for several reasons, including the fact that a group of unaffiliated students spoke to the committee at a meeting two weeks ago.

Paul said there was concern that numerous students -- not just Josh Green '00, Noah Phillips '00, Teresa Knoedler '00 and Janelle Ruley '00, who have publicly opposed the Greek system and met with the steering committee earlier this month -- had voiced sentiments that the Greek system should be completely eliminated, and that the CFSC wanted their opposing voices to be heard.

Paul said the CFSC also realized this weekend is a "very formative time for the steering committee when they're starting to solidify their decisions," and they thought this was a critical time to speak to them.

In addition, the steering committee had previously met with summer CFSC leaders, but not the members of the Class of 2000 who have led the CFSC since even before the Five Principles announcement was made and who were involved in writing the CFSC proposal to the task force on the Initiative, Paul said.

The CFSC chose the people who will speak to the steering committee because they have all been chosen by their houses to represent Greek opinions, Paul said. The representatives will speak on behalf of the CFSC, she said, not individual houses or experiences.

"We're doing the best that we can do," Paul said.

Paul would not comment on what the CFSC will specifically talk about with the committee.

Higgins said he expected the CFSC would be answering questions the steering committee posed to it.

Dentzer said "time is of the essence for the committee," and that while it is still willing to meet with interested community members, people are encouraged to talk to the committee with a specific recommendation or plan, as the committee is moving toward writing a report to the Board.

Dentzer said she expects the full steering committee to be in attendance at this weekend's session, and that the committee is still hoping to report to the Trustees by the end of Fall term.

The steering committee is officially known as the Committee on the Student Life Initiative.