Construction has reached the middle of phase one

Berry Library is on course to be completed by the summer of 2000 after several productive months that included the completion of the exterior framework of the library.

The project has reached the middle of phase one, which includes the building of the Berry library structure and limited renovation of Baker. Phase two, scheduled to be completed by December 2001, will include renovation of all of Baker library's interior and the construction of a new academic wing that will house the History Department and additional classrooms in order to alleviate space crunch problems on Dartmouth Row.

The demolition of the Kiewit Computing Center building is also on schedule to take place either next July or August. Computing services, as well as parts of Instructional Services, will be relocated into Berry by next summer.

Construction on Berry will continue throughout the winter as the interiors of future classrooms, offices and the student cafe begin to take shape.

The skeleton of the building, part of the roof and some exterior walls are already finished, and as winter approaches construction will shift inside to heating, plumbing and electrical wiring.

Installation of ducts, pipes, and stairways has already progressed across all floors, and workers are currently installing framing, plumbing, sheetrock and beginning to paint the interiors of the rooms. Masonry block work on exterior walls began this fall, outlining the numerous window and door locations.

According to Reed Bergwall, the assistant director of Facilities Planning, the building process is on schedule, though he admits there are "always unforeseeable potential delays." Bergwall said also that "there have been a few design and material supply issues we're trying to resolve, but we're still hoping to complete phase one by next summer."

The architects responsible for Berry's design visit the site every week, and -- according to Bergwall -- are pleased with the building's progress.

Construction on the library project began on May 5, 1998. The building will cover approximately 200,000 square feet and will have five levels.

The Ground Level will include a pedestrian arcade, classrooms, and a 24 hour cafe/study area. Levels One through Four will include standard library features such as the Circulation Desk and Map Room, as well as classrooms and offices for History Department personnel. Level 3 will feature a bridge that will connect the Berry and Baker buildings. All levels will include student study space.