Hanover sees campaign action

During the six months leading up to the New Hampshire State Primary, presidential hopefuls will flock to the Granite State to gain student support for their campaigns. Two Dartmouth student organizations, the Young Democrats and the Conservative Union at Dartmouth, are working hard to involve as many students as possible in Campaign 2000.

The Young Democrats "aim to bring students into the political process, educate the public on the issues and promote Democratic ideals," President Tim Waligore '01 said. The organization brings political figures to campus to speak about issues of national and local importance and campaigns for candidates throughout the state. Fifteen students regularly attend meeting of the Young Dems.

"Going to Dartmouth presents students with a unique opportunity to get into politics. The New Hampshire primary creates a political frenzy with college students at the center of the political universe," Waligore said.

During the Fall and Winter terms, CUAD "hopes to expose students to the wide variety of political campaigns to let them decided with which campaigns to get active," President Paul Biggs '01 said. Twenty students participate in CUAD's weekly organizational meeting. "We hope to educate students, open up debate about both sides of the political spectrum, and to get students involved in battling the ongoing problem of apathy."

Although there are several more Republican candidates than Democrats, the number of students supporting each party are roughly equal.

Only two Democratic candidates, Vice President Al Gore and former New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley, have declared their intention to run for their party's nomination for the Presidency. Each candidate enjoys the support of several Dartmouth students.

During June, Vice President Al Gore declared his intention to seek the presidency. Josh Green '00 and Tom Leatherbee '01 organized students and formed the Dartmouth-Gore 2000 committee. The committee sent volunteers to the New Hampshire Announcement Rally, marched in July 4th parades, handed out literature at the Hanover Street Festival and sent 30 supporters to accompany him through out New Hampshire just recently.

"Given the opportunity to work with the vice president is exciting. I've jumped on the Gore bandwagon to participate and do more than just going to the polls and voting," Sarah Blanton '00, member of Dartmouth-Gore 2000, said.

Contesting Gore for the Democratic nomination is former senator and professional basketball player Bill Bradley. Scott Given '02, Arun Palakurthy '02 and Waligore head Students for Bradley at Dartmouth. Spring term, Bradley spoke with supporters at Sanborn Library, in a forum sponsored by The Dartmouth and Dartmouth College Radio, and plans to make two more visits to Hanover.

"At Dartmouth, I began to learn about politics and Bill Bradley. When I first met him, I asked him what issue stands closest to his heart and he responded race ... 'we have to keep pushing racial consciousness,' he said. We spoke for about ten minutes. He's running for president for the country, not himself like most candidates ... He's made an effort to reach out and get students involved at New Hampshire colleges," Given said.

"I was uncommitted until I had the chance to talk with him in person (in Hanover)," Palakurthy, who is working at Bradley Campaign office in Des Moines, Iowa this summer, said. "He struck me as a honest man who takes a cerebral approach to policy and has obviously thought out all of the issues facing our country. He has articulated a vision for where the country needs to be moving. He would provide the best leadership."

In addition to the two Democratic candidates, 11 Republican hopefuls give Dartmouth students a wide selection of candidates to support from all parts of the conservative spectrum.

Texas Governor George W. Bush opened his campaign headquarters in Hew Hampshire earlier this summer. CUAD Vice-President Bob Gienko '01 and Kendra Quincy Kemp '02 are co-chairs of Dartmouth for Bush. Gienko is also a member of the Governor's New Hampshire Youth Leadership team. Kemp traveled with Bush during his first visit to New Hampshire and expects to bring him to campus at least once during Fall term.

Fourth of July weekend, 15-20 members of the Class of 2001 joined Bush during campaign stops in Amherst and Merrimack, NH. Following the parades, the governor thanked the students by serving them ice cream.

"Governor Bush has a very impressive record in Texas. He's a compassionate conservative who believes in many of the same things as I do, such as welfare reform, localized control of education, and lower taxes," Gienko said.

Arizona Senator and former Vietnam prisoner of war John McCain contacted several Dartmouth students to gather support for his campaign. In the last two months, he invited students to dinner at the Hanover Inn and breakfast at the Lebanon Airport.

"Senator McCain is a political maverick who let's people know exactly where he stands on the issues. His advocacy of campaign finance reform and tobacco regulations are both issues students care about," Jeff Kinkaid '01 said.

Former President of the Red Cross and Cabinet Secretary Elizabeth Dole has made several trips to the Granite State in hopes of becoming the Republican nominee and first female president. Kelly Grieco '01, chairwoman of Dartmouth for Dole and the only student member of Dole's New Hampshire Presidential Leadership Advisory Committee, hopes to have Dole speak and meet with students at Dartmouth at least twice before the primary. The sisters of Delta Delta Delta sorority plan to host a reception for Dole, who was a member of their national sorority as an undergraduate at Duke University.

"I was greatly impressed with her 30 years experience in public service, she was twice a cabinet secretary and president of the Red Cross. She's proven herself to be a true leader with integrity, leadership, dedication, intellect and compassion, all we ant to see restored to the White House. She is truly interested in getting students involved," Grieco said.

Over the past two years, Republican publisher Steve Forbes has campaigned throughout New Hampshire. Jessica Mather '01 and Biggs serve as co-chairs of Dartmouth for Forbes. Biggs interned at the Forbes Campaign 2000 headquarters in Washington, D.C. during the Spring term and was recognized on Forbes' website as a Youth Leader of the Week. To support their candidate members of Dartmouth for Forbes attended a Youth Tax Summit, a leadership training school at Boston College, and campaigned at 4th of July parades.

Forbes' Youth Campaign coordinators have taken a more active approach to recruiting students for their candidate than the other Dartmouth groups. The response for Forbes has been strong, Biggs said, because of his internet campaign, "a few '03s have already contacted me about helping out in the fall."

"Forbes is running the best youth campaign of this election cycle. I like the idea of someone going to the White House who hasn't accumulated a lot of political baggage over the years as a career politician. I like his flat tax and his aggressive stance on other prevalent political issues," he said.