Steering Comm. To meet tomorrow

The Initiative Steering Committee will meet for half a day tomorrow and all day Thursday of this week with students and various other people who "have views to express," such as William De Jong, head of the Higher Education Center for Alcohol and other Drug Prevention, according to Steering Committee co-Chair Peter and Trustee Peter Fahey '63.

Trustee co-Chair Susan Dentzer said the meeting's purpose is to continue to advance the process of understanding the scope of the issues raised by the Social and Residential Life Initiative, as well as possible approaches to it.

Fahey said he sees this meeting as a continuation of prior meetings.

Dentzer said the bulk of the meeting will be a discussion with people who have either submitted proposals or offered their opinions to the committee, or whose opinions and advice the committee has sought.

"It's an ongoing effort to reach out to various members of the Dartmouth community," Dentzer said.

Fahey said that as far as he knows, all the members of the committee will be attending the meeting, with the exception of Engineering Professor Ulf Osterberg, who has a prior teaching commitment.

The 16-member Committee will be meeting for the third time this term. The co-Chairs told The Dartmouth in a previous interview that the Committee intends to meet once more before the start of Fall term.

They told The Dartmouth earlier the committee intends to present a list of options for residential life changes to the Dartmouth community after students return to campus for the Fall term.

During the Board of Trustee's retreat in August, the Committee co-Chairs will also give a progress report to the Board and will receive feedback from the Trustees.

Dentzer and Fahey were unable to give more information yesterday on this week's meeting.