A Note from the Editor

It is undoubtedly frustrating to leave an institution such as the College in the midst of major change. Dartmouth has always changed and will continue to do so. But the changes facing the College at this time are perhaps the largest and most controversial since coeducation. Seniors will approach the elegant commencement stage today unsure of what exactly their new alma mater will be. What will the word "Dartmouth" mean to their employers or grandchildren?

Perhaps the forthcoming physical separation from Hanover leads to that frustration. Unable to be present for the all of the meetings, reports and most importantly unable to feel daily the campus attitude, departing seniors might feel they will become ignorant of the Initiative's impacts, and will become the alumni who heard about the Five Principles weeks late through the alumni grapevine.

While the Social and Residential Life Initiative has been the biggest news in the last four years, the Class of 1999 has witnessed first hand one the biggest periods of change the College has ever seen. From what now seems to be overly mundane and hardly newsworthy events like DDS reform and CCAOD to President Freedman's resignation, and the wave of administrators who left along with him and the appointment of James Wright as the College's 16th president, the Class of 1999 watched - and helped make - some monumental events occur at Dartmouth.

Among the articles in this issue is a recap of the last four years in Dartmouth history. And just what is the Class of 1999 thinking about graduating in the midst of the Five Principles reforms? Reporter Andrew Allport writes about some seniors attitudes on the Initiative/departure mix.

Distinguished alum John Stearns '49, who has seen many changes in Dartmouth throughout his life writes about some of them as well as his own experiences at the College 50 years ago in his reunion reflection column. Erin Loback '99 brings us closer to the present with her thoughts on the "Dartmouth experience."

Plus, The Dartmouth looks at the pomp and the pageantry of Commencement ceremony with two articles on the ceremony and the diploma.

It is great to have all the alums and their wisdom back in Hanover, and I congratulate the '99s on their terrific accomplishment.