Student followed to apartment

An unidentified man allegedly followed a female student from Collis Center to her apartment behind the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity late Monday night, then entered her apartment unannounced.

"This man walks into the outer room, didn't knock, just walked in," Jenny Holland '99, the student who was followed, wrote in a BlitzMail message spread throughout campus earlier this week.

The man said he thought he and Holland had made eye contact at Collis, Holland told The Dartmouth.

Holland did not recognize the man. "I didn't make eye contact with this guy," she told The Dartmouth, "I don't even remember seeing him."

She said the man said he was a local musician who played at the Lone Pine Tavern earlier Monday night.

"Once he was in the room, I kept the pool table between me and him. He didn't really make any movement to advance," Holland said.

The man claimed that he had read a book that suggested trying new things to meet people and he decided to try it, Holland said.

She said he then asked her if she would be interested in going for dinner or coffee.

"Once I said I wasn't interested he didn't try to stay," Holland said.

"He wasn't threatening, he was really nice and polite," she said, although "the situation was weird and the things he said were weird."

Holland said the man spent a few minutes telling her "his life story" about his musical career.

After the man left, Holland notified friends and later Safety and Security of the incident.

She described the man as middle aged with a medium build and graying, sandy blonde hair. "His face was long and thin," Holland said, "he was very nondescript."

Hanover Police was informed of the event on Monday night, though Officer Steve Read told The Dartmouth he did not believe a crime had been committed.

"My main concern that night was finding out who that guy is," Read said, "If this is a pattern then we need to be concerned."

Safety and Security was unavailable for comment.