Reserves to become 24-hour study space

Starting tonight, students will have access to a 24-hour study space in the Reserve Corridor in Baker Library, Associate Provost Margaret Dyer-Chamberlain announced yesterday.

The Reserves will be the only part of Baker Library to be open around the clock, but the Reserve desk hours will remain the same, Dyer-Chamberlain said. A Safety and Security officer will be monitoring the 24-hour study-space, she said.

"We're hoping that students will be pleased," she said.

The 24-hour study space has been planned since the beginning of the term, according to Ricky Joshi '01, one of the students who spearheaded the efforts calling for later library hours.

Joshi said he spoke to Provost Susan Praeger, whom he described as "incredibly helpful." Before assisting with this project, Praeger organized a similar effort at UCLA, he said.

"She was immediately all for it," he said.

Joshi, who transferred to the College from Columbia, which has 24-hour study space, said he worked with Student Assembly members because he believed there is a high demand for longer library hours at Dartmouth. He said the student input he gathered showed him students were greatly in favor of 24-hour study space, and he expects students who like to study late at night will appreciate and make use of the extended library hours.

"It might take a little while, but I think eventually people will be grateful," he said. Joshi said he believes the 24-hour study space in the Reserves will be especially useful to students who want to study in groups.

Joshi said a group of students had attempted to implement a 24-hour study-space last year, but the effort failed.

Dyer-Chamberlain said a 24-hour study space is also planned for Berry Library, which is scheduled to open next spring.

Joshi is a member of the 2001 Class Council and the Student Assembly