Panarachy will Never Associate with the Greek System

Panarchy is not, nor will it ever again be a part of the legacy of brutality that Dartmouth College calls "The Greek System." For those of you caught off guard, we are referring specifically to resolution number six (or what's left of it) that was passed at Tuesday's meeting of the Student Assembly. The resolution calls for the incorporation of the undergraduate societies into CFSC.

We claim no affiliation, and therefore no guilt by association, with the houses of the CFSC. This resolution is an attempt to pave over the problems with the predominantly single sex Greek System, by including the undergraduate societies (which are co-educational). No members of Panarchy were present at Tuesday's meeting, and if they had been, you can be sure they would have voiced opposition to resolution six.

Panarchy was formed to create an alternative space outside - and in opposition to - the Greek System and its false cries of "community service" and "women's space." We have the college's longest tradition of co-education; the house (formerly the Phi Psi Fraternity) had female boarders from the sister schools prior to coeducation. The house has had official female members since the day that the school turned coed.

The combined might and funds of the Greek System and their alumni have managed to stifle almost every voice that opposes them. It is a joke that the Greek System needs both an "Action Network," a Steering Committee, and the Student Assembly to voice its opinions. Who will represent the 20 percent of students who oppose the Greek System? The resolutions passed on Tuesday are intended to give the illusion of a dynamic Assembly, but only preserve the status quo.

Fact: Panarchy already has severed its ties with the Greek System and refuses to recognize its puppet Student Assembly. Fact: Panarchy is already in accordance with every one of the Five Principles. Fact: Panarchy will never join a system that openly objectifies women, fosters homophobia, and seeks to set a narrow agenda for all students.

We see this resolution as symptomatic of the Student Assembly's inability to represent non-Greek students. Perhaps the SA simply should be incorporated into the CFSC. The members of Panarchy welcome any move by the Student Assembly to form an exploratory committee, on forming a task force, on drafting a response to this letter.