More than 100 on housing waitlist

More than 125 students are currently on the waitlist for housing next Fall term, but Director of Housing Services Lynn Rosenblum said she is "cautiously optimistic" that most students will get housing.

"Things are looking better than they were last year," she said. "The Class of 2003 is much smaller than the Class of 2002."

Last year the Class of 2002 had considerably more students than the Office of Residential Life had planned for, resulting in the placement of some students in lounges converted into rooms.

Rosenblum said there are more off-campus programs in the Fall term, but the size of the Class of 2002 as well as the number of upperclassmen that stayed on campus "were the contributing factors to the problem last year."

This year's waitlist is smaller than in years past. Several years ago, the wait list was as high as 400.

Rosenblum said that she will begin working on waitlist housing during the second week in June, though ORL may not begin mailing room assignments until mid-June or early July.

"Waitlisted students received a letter this week," she said.

The letter included a list of academic affinity groups and other organizations that still have Fall term vacancies, she said.

The fourth floor of Wheeler residence hall also has vacancies. The fourth floor of Wheeler has been designated a "quiet floor" for next year.

"There are about 58 vacancies," Rosenblum said, "if students are eligible and act by June 4, the majority will be all set."

Rosenblum also said no additional students can be added to the list because the office does not accept late applications for Fall term housing.