Men's track finishes 2nd at New Englands

The Dartmouth's men's track and field team finished second at the New England Championships held this Friday and Saturday at the University of Maine.

Three competitors finished first in their events, helping the team amass 99 points. They finished behind University of Massachusetts-Amherst who had 121 points. University of Rhode Island was third with 83.5.

Greg Johnston '99 won the 110 meter hurdles with a time of 14.38 seconds in the finals on Saturday. His time in his preliminary heat on Friday was 14.16 seconds, setting a new school record. The previous record, 14.28, had been in place for 12 years and was held by Bill Boulware '90.

"I was happy to finally run a good hurdle time," Johnston said. Johnston also claimed fifth place in the pole vault, vaulting 14 feet.

Johnston will compete in the hurdles again next week at IC4A's, where he hopes to take first. After that, he will compete in the decathlon at the NCAA championships.

Matt Markell '01 placed first in the decathlon Friday while freshman Adam Wallace was first in the 10,000 meter.

"Going in there I knew I should do pretty well," Markell said. "I was happy with the performance overall."

Team members were happy with their second place finish, according to Johnston.

"We wanted to finish first but I think to finish off the season finishing second in New England was great," Johnston said.

Also placing for the Big Green was Ray Long '00, who placed second in the triple jump with a leap of 47 feet. Matt Orosz '00 placed third in the 400 meter with a time of 48.02.

Parker Pruett ran 3:49.66 in the 1500 to claim fourth place. Dartmouth's 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams both claimed fourth place as well.

Team members who have qualified will compete this week in the IC4A Championships.