Greek groups submit proposals

The Panhellenic Council has submitted a proposal to the Board of Trustees Steering Committee on the Student Life Initiative, emphasizing a need to curb alcohol abuse and the need for additional social and residential space.

The proposal, which is independent of the recently drawn-up proposal by the Coed Fraternity and Sorority Council, does not does not directly refer to the phasing out of alcohol in lieu of the financial incentives as suggested in the CFSC proposal. Instead, it recognizes the abuse of alcohol as a problem on campus that can be solved through education.

Panhell President Kelly Bodio '00 called the unsafe use of alcohol "a result of a mentality," adding that "we need to change this work hard, play hard mentality."

The College needs to explain the bodily harm and other bad effects of alcohol to students, Bodio said.

The Panhell proposal requires Greek organizations to regulate drinking during pledge periods by primarily changing the attitude that many students have about drinking.

The proposal also suggests creating a mandatory alcohol-orientation program for freshman during orientation, requiring undergraduate advisors to undergo alcohol education training and raising fines for underage students caught drunk alone.

The Panhellic proposal also strongly emphasizes the need for greater social space and continuity in housing for students.

It recommends the College guarantee the same room to the student for one academic year, even if the student is away from the campus during a term within the year. This is similar to CFSC's proposed "squatter's rights" allowing students to leave their belongings in a dorm room during their off-campus terms.

Panhell's proposal, similar to the CFSC proposal, supports the building of "brownstones" that will house a small number of students. The proposal states this option would be more individualistic than residence halls or apartments.

Recognizing that the Big Green Bean has a strong interactive and social atmosphere, Bodio said the students need more places like it.

Panhell proposes the creation of a "Party Barn" having a club-like atmosphere for parties, concerts, movie showings and catering events. It also recommends the creation of a "Common House" which different clubs, organizations and groups could use.

Bodio said, though Panhell strongly supports the CFSC Proposal, it felt the need to further discuss sorority issues and women's perspectives.

Inter-Fraternity Council President Hondo Sen '99 said the Panhell proposal is "excellent," and said the CFSC proposal did not address women's issues as extensively as it addressed the men's.

"I think CFSC did a very good job of enumerating IFC's concerns," Sen said, adding he understands why Panhell submitted a separate proposal.