Eat, drink and be merry

You rocked the body that rocks the party. You got hit, baby, one more time. You partied like there was no tomorrow ... and then tomorrow came. What to do?

Eat.

In the "morning," Hanover provides a fine selection of breakfast foods. Lou's Restaurant (643-3321) is a diner "that reflects local culture." You'll find cakes and pastries, as well as burgers and soups. Great for breakfast. The weekly special costs $4.95. The staff recommends the dessert selection.

The Bagel Basement (643-2245) offers sandwiches, seafood, deli meats, soups and every kind of bagel known. $2 to $6 will buy you anything in the store. For Green Key there will be a special t-shirt and mug special.

Lunch is always good at Subway (643-0360) if you want to grab a sub or salad. Foot-long subs are $1.69 to $4.99. If you want to splurge, you can get a roast chicken sub meal for $7.12.

For shopping and lunch, Stinson's Village Store and Catering (643-6086)offers both a ma and pa's store and a deli up front. Sandwiches range from $2.95 to $3.50. You can also get daily specials and homemade hot soups.

Or you could go to the Foodstop Deli (643-0238) for mac and cheese, chicken strips, hot and plain chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, burgers, sandwiches and salads. Inexpensive at $1.99 to $4.99. You could also stock up on groceries.

If you'd rather have pizza, choices abound. There's Everything But Anchovies (643-6135) where you can find Italian cooking, from quick appetizers and pizza to pasta, a salad bar and full entrees. The giant pizza serves a lot of people and the staff recommends the restaurant's famous chicken sandwiches. This place is a Dartmouth favorite, especially for late night deliveries. And yes, you can even get anchovies.

You can also head out to Ramunto's (643-9500) for another pizzeria style restaurant. You'll find a $3.99 lunch special that includes a cheese pizza and salad. The New York-style pizzas are $3.95 to $8.95 and the slices are $1.50 to $3.00.

C & A's (643-2966) offers fine Italian food. As the staff puts it "pizza, pastas, all that." $3.25 will buy you a small sandwich. $11.85 will buy you a large pizza.

For a more formal dinner atmosphere, Jesse's (643-4111) will feed you steaks and seafood for $9.00 to $24.00. The atmosphere is rustic New England and you can sit in the restaurant's green house area. Prime ribs are the specialty.

As the Molly's (643-2570) staff puts it, "If you can't find something on our menu to eat, you're not hungry." For $3.95 to $12 you can get salads, pasta, pizza, seafood, chicken dishes, hamburger and nightly and daily specials.

Murphy's (643-4075) fine American cuisine is the food of choice for Dartmouth couples. At a romantic $7.50 to $18.95, you can enjoy the warm, Irish-style restaurant and pub.

If you like home cooking, Patrick Henry's (643-2345) will serve you what its calls "comfort food": shepherds pie, steaks and burgers. Prices range from $5.95 to $15.95.

For a place that's "not quite as stuffy as the other restaurants," as one staff member said, 5 Olde Nugget (643-5081) promises a laid-back, "crazy" atmosphere. They serve a mixture of everything from Mexican food such as nachos to grilled New York sirloin, Italian Alfredo and seafood. Dinners cost from $11.95 to $12.95.

If you want Asian food, try Panda House (643-1290) for Chinese or Japanese food. Dinner will cost about $12. The sushi is highly recommended.

Or you can find something a little more exotic at India Queen (643-6900). They're now offering a special 20 percent off the dinners for Green Key Weekend. Lunch will cost anywhere from $3.95 to $6.50, and dinner from $6.25 to $12.95. The restaurant specializes in northern Indian cuisine.

Similarly, the Jewel of India (643-2217) offers great Indian food. Take advantage of their 10 percent Green Key discount for students. $7.95 to $19.95 will buy you items such as chicken, lamb, seafood and ten kinds of bread. The most popular dish is the dikka masala.

Mai Thai (643-9980) is a great place to find "really good Thai food: pretty spicy, pretty fine dining," as one waitress describes it. Entrees range in price from $6.95 to$13.95. The Thai ice tea and anything with peanut sauce is delicious.

For more elegant wining and dining, try Zin's (646-8000) at the Hanover Inn. This wine bistro offers a nightly prix fixe wine dinner for $18 which includes an appetizer, main dish and two half glasses of wine. The dinner is $15 for those who are too young to drink alcohol.

Next door you'll find the Daniel Webster Room (646-8000). The entrees, which use local fresh ingredients, are $17 to $26. The menu is printed daily. They'll provide you "casual and personal service in a grand atmosphere," as the manager puts it.

Try Cafe Buon Gustaio (643-5711) for fine northern Italian dining. The menu changes daily. Prices range from $8 to $21 for entrees and $4 to $10 for appetizers.

After dinner, you need to drink. You need to drink coffee. The newly renovated Dirt Cowboy Cafe (643-1323) has espresso beverages, lots of teas and lots of coffee. Pastries and ice cream also served. An average cup costs $3.60.

Rosey's Cafe (643-5282) is another little coffee shop to try. They have cold drinks, sandwiches, baked goods, espresso drinks, coffees and teas. Drinks are 95 cents to $3.25 and sandwiches are $5.50. Grilled Panini sandwiches are their specialty.

This close to Vermont, Ben & Jerry's (643-2663) is a Hanover staple. For $2.19 to $4.39 you can get brownies, cookies, milkshakes, sorbets and smoothies. They're motto is "if it's not fun, why do it." Oh yeah, and if you're lucky, they'll have a couple of ice cream flavors.