Emmy winner Grubin to be Montgomery Fellow

Emmy Award-winning producer, writer and cinematographer David Grubin has been selected as this term's Montgomery Fellow.

Grubin will arrive at the College early next week and will be in residence for three days. During this time, he will speak on the topic of "Making Personal & Career Decisions" at 3:30 on Monday, April 5 in the Montgomery House on Rope Ferry Road. Since seating is limited, the first 20 students to respond to Career Services will be issued an invitation to meet with Grubin.

He will also attend two government classes, a history class and a film studies class and meet for dinner with different student groups during his stay, according to Barbara Gerstner, assistant provost and executive director of the Montgomery endowment.

As a producer, Grubin has won every major award in his field including the George Foster Peabody award, two Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University awards, and eight Emmys. He has made over 100 films on subjects ranging from history to art to poetry and science.

As a writer, he has won the Writer's Guild Documentary Award twice and the Emmy Award once, while he received three Emmy nominations as a director and one Emmy and five Emmy nominations as a cinematographer.

"He's won just about every award he could possibly win," Gerstner said.

Grubin's biographies of American Presidents fit well with last term's series "Power and the Presidency," which could be continued this term, Gerstner said.

Grubin's approximately four-hour long biographical documentaries on Lyndon Johnson, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman and Theodore Roosevelt for "The American Experience" on PBS have also won great acclaim and played a role in winning a Peabody Award for the President's Series.

Grubin is currently producing a six-hour biography of Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln -- A House Divided -- and a four-hour film on Napoleon for PBS.

His five-part series for PBS -- "Healing and the Mind" with Bill Moyers -- has also won several awards, including an Emmy, the American Television Award, and an award from the American Psychological Association. The companion book, for which he served as executive editor, remained on the New York Times Bestseller List for 32 weeks as number one.

A member of the Directors' Guild and the Writers' Guild, Grubin is also president of David Grubin Productions, Inc., which produces television documentaries, commercials and films for clients such as IBM, Exxon, Kodak, UniSys and Harvard University.