A Mantra of Hate and Intolerance is Not Valid

Congratulations, Mr. Hutson-Ellenberg. You have reached an unprecedented low with yesterday's letter "There is Nothing Wrong with Expressing Hatred." To suggest that of the hateful pamphlets sent to Dartmouth community members is the most ludicrous editorial I have read in The Dartmouth this year.

I agree that the situation has been overblown, but to suggest that it has been misdirected in its condemnation of hate is a gross error. Perhaps I am misinterpreting Mr. Hutson-Ellenberg's column, but it seems that he is advocating hate as a valid means and credible means of expression: "'Hate and intolerance have no place at Dartmouth' Why not?" The pamphlets, as far as I know, made wild accusations which have no basis in reality. Is it too much to ask of students at an Ivy League school to meaningfully and intelligently express their opinions without resorting to the kind of childish threats contained in the pamphlets? If someone wants to condemn homosexuality or Judaism they are indeed welcome to do so under the mandate of the First Amendment. But mailing out anonymous cartoons which depict ridiculous situations is an abuse of these rights.

I challenge Mr. Hutson-Ellenberg to prove that blind hate is an important social force. Though I am not versed in the annals of history, I fail to note any examples where hate has ever achieved anything in this world. As far as I know, it has contributed nothing to the progress of humankind. Ideas like those of Mr. Hutson-Ellenberg only set us back. I wonder where he came upon the ideas he professes in his articles.

Perhaps Mr. Hutson-Ellenberg thinks he is Dartmouth's version of William F. Buckley Jr., a visionary conservative slaying that dragon of liberal thinking. "It is typical liberal propaganda that all of us can and should live in harmony." Yes, that utopian dream is unachievable. But does that mean we should simply resort to hateful relations? Mr. Hutson-Ellenberg seems to think this is the only answer. He writes that he does not want to see a Dartmouth where "everyone purports to love everybody else." So what, then, is his vision of Dartmouth? If Mr. Hutson-Ellenberg thrives on hate and intolernace, perhaps he should transfer to an instution more open to his ideas. I doubt any tears will be shed.