Criteria for new dean unchanged

The Board of Trustee's recently announced social and residential life initiative will not change the criteria for the candidate in the search for a new dean of residential life, according to Committee Chair and Associate Dean of the College Janet Terp.

Despite the major social and residential overhaul that the new dean of residential life will inherit, the committee will continue to look for a candidate who understands residential life, the classroom experience and the liberal arts program, Terp said.

The committee will be meeting this week to discuss and review the approximately 50 applications it has received, and then try to create a preliminary list of candidates to give serious consideration, according to Terp. She said she hopes the committee will be able to start interviewing applicants in mid-April.

James Gallo '99, the student representative on the search committee, said the new dean of residential life should be an intellectual as well as a dean. The ideal dean of residential life should enjoy student interaction and be aware of the Greek system's current role on campus.

Newly appointed Dean of the College James Larimore, who will assume his position in July, and Acting Dean of the College Dan Nelson will make the final selection.

Mary Liscinsky, who became acting dean of residential life last June 1 after former Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco stepped down in April, will return to her former position as assistant dean once the search concludes.

Nelson told The Dartmouth earlier this year he was hoping for a candidate who "understands the role of residential life," and how a student's residential experience contributes to learning and the academic community at Dartmouth.

Nelson described the residential experience as an important part of a student's overall experience.

The new dean of residential life should be able to provide leadership in linking students' social, intellectual and residential experience, he said.

In an interview several weeks ago, Terp told The Dartmouth the committee was looking for a candidate with direct experience in higher education as well as good organizing, managing and planning skills to fill the position.

Beyond these qualifications, she said the candidate should demonstrate a "commitment to integrating and enhancing the intellectual experience of undergraduate students," she said.

The other members of the search committee are Sheila Culbert, senior assistant to the president, Dean of First Year Students Peter Goldsmith, Dean of the Class of 2000 Teoby Gomez, Professor of Biological Sciences Carol Folt and Chris Strentra, executive officer for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.