Kelly Bodio balances Panhell, Green Key

The long list of activities of Kelly Bodio '00, the newly elected president of the Panhellenic Council, would overwhelm most people. But for this energetic molecular biology major, a busy schedule is the norm.

"I don't like to say no to people, so I end up doing a lot," Bodio said. "I don't think of it as a chore or a task."

Bodio, a sister at Delta Delta Delta sorority, said she is enthusiastic about her new position as head of Panhell, the governing body of the College's seven sororities.

She said she sees Panhell as an organization that brings together all of the women of Dartmouth's sororities to share ideas, raise funds, help the community and co-sponsor events.

"I thought that it would be nice to be a bigger part of that," Bodio said.

In addition to Panhell and Tri-Delt, Bodio is also a member of the Student Assembly and the Green Key junior honor society, where she is working on the Day-by-Day calendar.

But Bodio's interests reach far beyond the Dartmouth sphere. Bodio hopes to one day work with sick children as a pediatric oncologist.

Currently, Bodio is conducting research on cancer at the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center as a Presidential Scholar.

Bodio also volunteers every week at David's House, an organization that provides accommodations to families of the patients staying at DHMC. As the house manager, Bodio bakes cookies and interacts with guests.

"I am a people type of a person," Bodio said, explaining why she likes her work at David's House. "I enjoy being around people, especially children."

Bodio does not simply participate in activities, however -- she leads them.

Kelly Heaps '00, who has been good friends with Bodio since their freshman fall, had trouble counting the leadership roles that Bodio has filled throughout her three years at Dartmouth.

During her sophomore summer, Bodio was both the summer president for Tri-Delt and the acting vice president of Student Assembly.

She has been on 2000 Class Council for her entire time at Dartmouth, and as a freshman, worked with Heaps to create the 'Shmen Guide, an information booklet about Dartmouth specially written for incoming freshmen.

As this term's Panhell elections approached, Bodio seemed to be the obvious choice.

"She was the first name that came to mind," said Caroline Fayard '00, who was the Summer term Panhell president.

However, Bodio said that she does not think of herself as a typical "leader."

"It's just something that I do," she said.

When pressed to describe the qualities that make her a good leader, Bodio admitted that she pays attention to details, delegates authority and has good organization skills. She also said she looks at the opinion of the group as a whole and does not push her own views.

Her friends and co-workers in her various capacities agree with this description.

"She's very determined," Heaps said. "She's focused. She inspires others. She unites everyone in an unbelievable way."

Speaking as a past head of Panhell, Fayard said that Bodio is definitely up to the challenge.

"I feel totally sure that she will be fair and impartial," Fayard said. "Kelly is not afraid to get in there and get her hands dirty. She doesn't give up."