Greek houses conclude winter rush process

While the majority of eligible students rush during the Fall term, 37 women and at least 26 men participated in this winter's rush period over the past week.

Some eligible students choose to wait until Winter term before rushing, and others were off-campus during the Fall term.

Alpha Delta fraternity admitted the most new members this winter, with three men joining the house. President Christopher Carney '00 said the house gave out three new bids, two of which were sunk. One bid from the fall was sunk as well.

The two bids offered by Psi Upsilon fraternity were sunk, bringing the house's sophomore class to 27, President Michael Rand '00 said.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity each extended three bids, two of which have been sunk.

Most of the houses reported a slow rush period this winter.

President Tim Naples '00 said Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity extended a bid to one of its two visitors this term.

Zeta Psi fraternity accepted one new member, and one of Sigma Nu fraternity's three bids has been accepted so far.

Chi Gamma Epsilon, Kappa Kappa Kappa and Gamma Delta Chi fraternities did not hold rush this winter.

"Due to a general lack of interest in winter pledging, [we] did not hold an official winter rush," Chi Gam President Yale Dieckmann '00 said.

Although Theta Delta Chi fraternity did not hold a formal rush this winter, President John Silkey '00 said the house gave out one bid and plans on sinking it this weekend.

Phi Delta Alpha fraternity declined to release its rush numbers, and Bones Gate, Chi Heorot and Phi Tau fraternities could not be reached for comment.

In the first term of sorority rush since Zeta Beta Chi sorority disbanded lowering the number of Panhellenic sororities to six, all of the remaining sororities participated in this year's rush and, as expected, each rushee received a bid to one house. The sororities would not release specific numbers.

Newly-elected Panhell President Kelly Bodio '00 said the decision was made by the six Panhell sororities to keep the numbers private "simply so as not to make any house feel as if it's a competition to get the most new rushees ... we felt discussing numbers would not be beneficial to the system."

"We gauge our success on the fact that all of the women rushing we offered a bid at a house and a place in the system," said Katie Robb '99, Epsilon Kappa Theta's former rush chair.