Carnival chairs plan big weekend

Amy Pogoriler '00 and Andy Louis '00 are planning one of Dartmouth's biggest weekends of the year.

As chairs of this year's Winter Carnival Committee, the two will be in charge of overseeing the construction of the snow sculpture as well as the most of the programming for the weekend.

Pogoriler said she had a blast at Winter Carnival her freshman year. Last year she even sold posters for the event. But she never thought that she would end up as Co-Chair of the Winter Carnival Committee.

"It just sort of happened. Ben [Moore '00] and Andy asked me to help because they were both going to be off during the fall term," Pogoriler said. Moore and Louis co-chaired the Winter Carnival Committee last year.

"Winter Carnival is definitely my favorite weekend of the year," she said.

Pogoriler and Louis have both taken the term off to manage the enormous job of designing and preparing everything that goes into making the Carnival weekend.

They currently chair a large committee of approximately 45 to 50 people.

"It's a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun," Louis said.

The Carnival chairs, Moore and Linda Kennedy, the director of Student Activities met this summer to choose this year's theme "Gone to the Dogs." This year's sculpture will be a giant dog sitting on its hind legs.

Louis said he first became involved with Winter Carnival his freshman year "going to [carnival] committee meetings a lot. I also spent three to four afternoons working on the ice sculpture through most of January and February."

All of the traditional Carnival activities will be taking place this year -- including the Psi Upsilon fraternity keg jump and the Polar Bear swim.

"We've planned a few new things for this year. There's going to be a tubing park at the golf course which is sponsored by the Programming Board," Pogoriler said.

She also said there will be Best Dog contest that is open to anyone who owns a dog on campus.

Louis said there will be a Human Dog Sled Race around the green with sleds provided and a 99 cent ski day at the Dartmouth Skiway on Friday of Carnival weekend.

Further information on where to sign up for the different events will be distributed next week along with the sale of Winter Carnival posters and t-shirts.